Let’s focus our mind on all that is good and wholesome:
“Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.” Philippians 4:8.
What we allow to occupy our mind with, will sooner or later transfer to our speech and behaviours. If we are watching the 1 news Special at 1pm weekdays, as well as the morning and 6pm news we may start feeling overwhelmed with Lockdown and COVID19. What we need is some life-giving distractions. Have you tried any of these?
- Focus on reading the Gospels and the life-giving words of Christ
- Take a walk in your neighbourhood and focus on the trees and flowers and animals
- Only watch TV programmes that leave you relaxed and at peace afterwards
- Write down who in life you aspire to and why
- Read about a hero who has fought for justice or achieved the impossible
- Pray to God, who is pure, and sit in stillness awaiting His response.
- Write a list of all the things that you find beautiful
- Close your eyes and picture yourself in a tranquil, spectacular holiday destination
- What would you like to be excellent at, and what steps could you take to achieve it?
When we develop a consistent pattern of wholesome thinking, we will see life through a much more inspiring lens, which in turn will result in a happier life, and a glad and thankful participation in God’s narrative.